Scot Zimmerman Photography
Scot Zimmerman is a widely published commercial photographer with over 30 years experience. He specializes in location photography: architecture, interiors, resort, travel, landscape, industrial, and historical. His photos are noted for capturing the spirit of the buildings and the life of the moment.
His client base includes architects, interior designers, advertising agencies, book publishers, periodicals, resorts, engineering companies, developers, corporations and government. During his career, he has had opportunities to work with some of today’s most innovative designers and to document important historical projects. He has offices in Utah and California, and he works across the United States.
He works closely with his wife, Ann Zimmerman, who frequently styles the photos and writes articles and books featuring his photographs.
- University of Utah School of Architecture, Salt Lake City, UT, 2003
- Heinz Museum, Pittsburgh, PA, 2000
- Polk Museum of Art, Florida Southern College, 2001
- Royal Institute of British Architects, Tate Gallery, London, England, 1992
- Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art, New York City, NY, 1995
- Fresno Art Museum, Fresno, CA, 1993
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, MN, 1992
- Bakersfield Art Gallery, Bakersfield, CA, 1991
- Fresno Metropolitan Museum, 1990
- Oakland Museum, Oakland CA, 1989
Lectures and Presentations
- University of Utah, Architecture Department, guest lecturer, 1994-2008
- Utah Design Conference, 2004-2005
- USU Interior Design Department, 2006
- University of Utah School of Architecture, 2003
- Carmel Cottage Society Annual Forum, 2003
- Hollyhock House (City of Los Angeles), City Arts Program, 1991
- Gamble House, Pasadena, CA, Friends of the Gamble House, 1991
- California Council for Arts and Humanities, San Diego, CA, 1993
- Fresno Metropolitan Museum, 1990
- Society for Registered Architects, National Convention, San Francisco, CA, 1994
- San Joaquin Chapter of the AIA, 1988
- Architectural Photography Lecture, AIA Chapter, Salt Lake City, UT, 1995
- California State University, Fresno, guest lecturer, 1988
- Architectural photography lecture, Wichita Chapter of the AIA, Wichita, KS. 1998
- Louisiana State University, guest lecturer, Baton Rouge, LA. 1998
Books, Author or Sole Photographer
- Romanza, The California Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, David Gebhardt, Chronicle Books, San Francisco CA, 1988.
- A Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright’s California, Gibbs Smith Publishing, Layton UT, 1992.
- The Details of Frank Lloyd Wright, Judith Dunham, Chronicle Books, San Francisco, CA, 1994
- Frank Lloyd Wright/The Western Work, Dixie Legler, Chronicle Books, San Francisco, CA, 1999
- Architecture of Arthur Dyson, Mark Hammons, Fresno Art Museum, Fresno Art Museum, 1993.
- The Comfortable Garden, Ann Zimmerman, Sterling/Chapelle Publishing, NY, NY, 2002
- California Cottage Style, Ann Zimmerman, Sterling/Chapelle Publishing, NY, NY, 2003
- Garden Getaways, Michael Glassman, Sterling/Chapelle Publishing, NY, NY, 2006
- Prairie Style, Sterling/Chapelle Publishing, completed, not yet released.
- At Nature’s Edge, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Artist Studio, Henry Whiting, University of Utah Press, Salt Lake City, UT, January, 2007
- The Desert Portfolio, in progress.
Books with Photographs (Partial Listing)
- The Wright Style, Carla Lind, Simon & Schuster, New York, NY, 1992.
- Earth to Spirit, In Search of Natural Architecture, David Pearson, Chronicle Books, San Francisco, CA, 1994.
- Rebecca Binder, Contemporary World Architects, Stanley Tigerman, Rockport Publishers, Rockport, MA, 1994.
- The Wright Sites, Arlene Sanderson, Princeton Architectural Press, New York, NY, 1995.
- Environment Comes Home, David Pijawaka & Kim Shetter, Arizona State University, 1995.
- The Architecture of Steven Ehrlich, Leon Whiteson, Orange Coast College Foundation, Costa Mesa, CA, 1990.
- Purcell and Elmslie, Prairie Progressives, David and Pat Gebhardt, Gibbs Smith Publishing, Layton UT, 2006.
Periodicals, (Partial Listing)
- Utah Style and Design (Regular Contributor)
- Salt Lake Magazine (Regular Contributor)
- Frank Lloyd Wright Quarterly (Regular Contributor)
- Boca Magazine (Regular Contributor)
- Florida Table (Regular Contributor)
- Cooking with Paula Deen (Regular Contributor)
- Architectural Record
- Westerns Interiors and Design
- House Beautiful
- Progressive Architecture
- This Old House
- Fine Home Building
- Phoenix Home and Garden
- Popular Science
- Northern California Home and Garden
- Professional Builder
- Audio Video Interiors
- Inland Architect
- Country Folk Art
- Southwest Profiles
- L’Architectura (Italy)
- Yapi (Turkey)
- Record Homes (Great Britain)
- A+U (Japan)
- Romantic Homes
- Victorian Homes
- Living West
- Old House Interiors
- Southwest Art
- Casa & Estillo Internacional (South America)
- Popular Mechanics
Awards & Recognition
- Graham Foundation Grant, the works of Purcell and Elmsley, 1989.
- Society of Registered Architects, Jurist, International Student Design Competition, 1995